Monday, December 15, 2008

Just ten sleeps...


Ten sleeps! As each day comes and goes, the anticipation for Christmas builds. This excitement is contagious - especially when it is spilling out of children. In December, the school gathers in the gym a few mornings a week to sing Christmas Carols. My Grade 4 class, the oldest in the school, often restrains themselves at first. They glance at their peers to check how much they should participate. The kindergarten class on the other hand is the complete opposite. They sing each song with EXTREME enthusiasm, belting out words that are not necessarily correct. They cannot contain their joy – it needs to escape. The songs are all familiar and with each song we sing, the kids become more entranced by the spirit of Christmas. Even my class cannot resist singing out Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (“Had a very shiny nose… Like a Light Bulb!”) They begin to lay down the inhibitions and sing because they are children and their hearts need to believe in the spirit of Christmas.
I find as the days are crossed off my calendar, the spirit of Christmas grows and, like the Grinch, my heart grows 3 sizes. It always amazes me how smells, sights, and sounds can trigger so many memories. As I decorated my own tree, I took out ornaments that each held such meaning. Each year growing up, Mom and Dad would purchase an ornament for both my brother and I. My favorite is an ornament that depicts a little girl dancing with an angel close behind her, mimicking her movement. It is a beautiful picture. The angel is close enough for protection, but keeps enough distance to allow the girl the chance to dance on her own.
If I am being honest, my favorite part is not Christmas day – it is Christmas Eve. Our family tradition is to attend our Church service on Christmas Eve. We arrive early, save seats and join with friends and neighbors to sing Christmas carols and listen to the Christmas story. Then, as we finish with Silent Night a flame is passed from candle to candle until the room is filled with light and song. In that moment, I always cry. Not because I am sad, but because I have hope. I am surrounded by those I love and in that beautiful moment the tears flow freely. My brother often rolls his eyes, but still puts his arms on my shoulders and confirms in his own way that he understands. After hugging and wishing friends a Merry Christmas, we rush home to watch A Muppet Christmas Carol. A wonderful story, that never fails to make me laugh.
That joy and hope that fills me that special night, breaks down walls that sometimes guard my spirit. They stir up a voice that only allows me to sing carols at the top of my lungs. No inhibitions, no bitter feelings, only the heart of a child that needs to believe in the spirit of Christmas.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Awww I teared a little when I read that Sarah. You have such strong values and great relationships in your life. Life is great.