In the beginning of Harry Potter’s adventures there is a house at Number 4 Privet Drive. As a reader, the detailed description of this, “thoroughly ordinary house, on a thoroughly ordinary road” captures your attention. The first home Harry knows is living with the Dursleys in Number 4. However, because of the vivid picture the author paints, the reader almost immediately associates a bitter taste with this house on Privet Drive. It is amazing how words can create a picture in our mind’s eye. As well, develop feelings and help create understanding of something we do not know. As I sit at my Number 36, I hope to paint you such a picture, help you develop both feeling and understanding about this home… And I do hope you leave with a different picture than that of Number 4 Privet Drive.
Have you ever walked down a lane where the strong trees on both sides of you have stretched and grown forming an arch above? As you walk down such a lane, you are able to hear the rustling of the leaves and almost feel as though you have been taken to peaceful place – no matter what busyness is around you. This is essence is the description of my street. A small one-way road that holds beautiful old brick houses on both sides – each with their own unique characteristics that reflect their inhabitants. As you walk down this lane in particular, you are able to see the CN tower peek through the leaves, just to remind you of the great bustling city surrounding this quiet street. From the beautiful balcony that I sit on each morning, I can see a beautiful Russian Orthodox Church that has visiting members throughout the week. Heather and Patrick have covered their balcony with tomato and herb plants, along with various vines and bedded flowers. Their home is definitely eclectic. Reflecting the tastes and personalities of both individuals. Needless to say, I feel at home here.
Oh, how I enjoy Toronto! I am close to the university and its beautiful campus buildings, parks and coffee shops. Although the radio is spotted with the regular traffic reports that I hear at home, the majority of people spilling out onto the streets for the morning commute are either walking or riding their bikes. The global mentality here is refreshing. Recycling is not an idea with good intentions, but rather an accepted habit. They have different initiatives to encourage waste reduction, such as the green bin for compostable waste, no provincial tax on bikes, green taxis powered by bicycles and lower energy rates on the weekend.
The first week I found it difficult to deal with the excessive amount of time I had on my hands. However, this week I feel as though I have found my footing. Heather and I have been very active, which is wonderful – running, biking, swimming, you name it! We too have also found our footing, to the point of laughing uncontrollably while trying to do sit-ups.
I have filled my days with so much and I feel as though this was the right decision for me this summer. I have:
Enjoyed a Rib-Fest - a gorging of ribs, sauces and beer.
Watched a live, outdoor show of Blue Rodeo.
Sing Karaoke in a Private Room
Sat in numerous coffee shops
Watched Canada Day fireworks
Experienced the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit
Bought a bike
Read a few books
Walked through an outdoor Art Show
Savored gelato at a Little Italy Festival
Visited with new friends and spent time with family
Oh and I have also started taking my French classes, worth mentioning as it was the original purpose for coming...
I feel so blessed each day when I wake up and realize where I am. After all it’s not every day that one has the chance to live in the not so ordinary house, on the not so ordinary street.
No comments:
Post a Comment