Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things of such significance...

At this moment what do I see? I see the impressive abstract glass windows that make up the front of the Royal Ontario Museum. They are meant to grab your attention and entice you inside to experience things of different size, but equal significance! I love to learn and as a result, I find the thought of wandering through hallways filled with artifacts and information appealing. Early on in my trip, I spent the afternoon here with a friend exploring the Dead Sea scrolls exhibit. To think that these pieces of parchment have survived thousands of years to be discovered, translated, interpreted and lived by. To say the least, they are objects of significance in the history of Jewish and Christian people. Maybe one day we will discover that the overlap between various religions is such that we all serve the same Being in different ways. We may discover that instead of arguing our own uniqueness, we should be acknowledging our similarities.

I believe that when I stop and look back on my life, this summer will always hold great significance in my life. Not because I learned basic French, nor because I spent two months away from home. It is significant because of how I have grown. It is significant because of the people who have touched my heart and the places that have opened my eyes. I have felt alive and inspired. Loved and challenged. Without question I know that I was meant to spend this summer in Toronto. 

No comments: