
I am sitting just listening to the thunder crash…the light show outside is one that almost takes your breath away. The electric lightning is made even more dramatic by the darkness inside the house…the power has gone off. I have many memories stored in my mind surrounding this very context. It seemed that almost every blackout we would play endless hours of SORRY, the game that makes even a power outage seem short.
There is something majestic about lightning storms. Such beauty in the split second of light, then power and strength in the rumble that follows. As much as I have grown to appreciate observing different art, I have never found an exhibit that captures my attention the way the natural world does.
The past week has held a few powerful moments for me. My friend and I pushed physical boundaries to swim, bike, and run - completing our first triathlon. Besides the obvious physical demands, I found myself feeling fairly emotional as we crossed the finish line. What energy I felt in the realization that I could achieve something so beyond my initial ability! In all honesty, I found myself wondering when I could participate in this event again.
I am also learning the power of being honest…at times brutally honest – both with others and myself. In the past I have attempted to always please those around me – often to the point of repressing my real reactions and feelings. Working at letting my heart speak honestly is both difficult and necessary. Pleasantness and surface talk can lead relationships to become something no longer real. By being honest and expressing real feelings, I have put myself in a vulnerable place. It is from this place that deep and real friendships can grow. It may be a friendship that looks different than before, but it is still something to treasure.
Not only have these experiences themselves been powerful, but the reflection and thoughts afterwards also develop feelings of empowerment. Not because I am always strong, but because I am willing to experience my weakness and strive to be present in moments where I find my inner strength.
So I am just listening…to hear the sounds of the power around me and carefully to hear the power within me.
There is something majestic about lightning storms. Such beauty in the split second of light, then power and strength in the rumble that follows. As much as I have grown to appreciate observing different art, I have never found an exhibit that captures my attention the way the natural world does.
The past week has held a few powerful moments for me. My friend and I pushed physical boundaries to swim, bike, and run - completing our first triathlon. Besides the obvious physical demands, I found myself feeling fairly emotional as we crossed the finish line. What energy I felt in the realization that I could achieve something so beyond my initial ability! In all honesty, I found myself wondering when I could participate in this event again.
I am also learning the power of being honest…at times brutally honest – both with others and myself. In the past I have attempted to always please those around me – often to the point of repressing my real reactions and feelings. Working at letting my heart speak honestly is both difficult and necessary. Pleasantness and surface talk can lead relationships to become something no longer real. By being honest and expressing real feelings, I have put myself in a vulnerable place. It is from this place that deep and real friendships can grow. It may be a friendship that looks different than before, but it is still something to treasure.
Not only have these experiences themselves been powerful, but the reflection and thoughts afterwards also develop feelings of empowerment. Not because I am always strong, but because I am willing to experience my weakness and strive to be present in moments where I find my inner strength.
So I am just listening…to hear the sounds of the power around me and carefully to hear the power within me.
1 comment:
And there is great and gentle power within you my bear.
I am so glad that you have decided to let the "world" into your heart. I hope that it feeds you in the same way it has me. Looking forward to many inspiring, heartbreaking, and real posts my love.
See you soon.
Love you so very much
Post a Comment