Friday, December 4, 2009

Balance...

Breathe in...Breathe out...Breathe in...Breathe out...this is my life-giving rhythm that guides me through each pose of the Sun Salutation. I have just started taking a yoga class. I have always loved the idea of yoga and have worked through various poses with the guidance of friends or an interesting DVD. However, there is something powerful about hearing the voice of another presence in the room. Guiding you to feel and be aware of your body. I love being able to move through different positions and feel where my body is strong and where it is weak. I am learning the power of breathing and the immense joy of mindful relaxation. Some days I do not feel like stretching my tired and tightly-wound body. However, when I step onto my mat and hear the South-African accent of my wonderful teacher I feel peaceful. So many things within Yoga practice are based around the concept of balance. Phrases such as, “What you do to one side, you must also do to the other” or “The flow of breath both in and out” are centered on balance. So are many of the poses, challenging you to strengthen your core and balance your body.

I feel that going to Yoga has also challenged me to look at balance in other areas of my life. This summer was so invigorating and refreshing. I was very active and my mind was engaged in so many different and unique things. I explored and learned. I read and wrote. I slept and walked. My life was filled with balance.

Coming back to school has been an adjustment. I have come home to the familiar. My life is naturally filled with stress and exhaustion – which sometimes makes me wonder if this is the path I will stay on forever. However, I am learning that I need to balance. I am learning the importance of not doing work on the weekends. Instead I am spending time with friends, family or with myself.

I am learning to balance… something that will probably take a lifetime to master.

No comments: